Wednesday, September 11, 2013

A terribly frightening day: My ectopic Pregnancy

Almost nobody knew this, but I was pregnant and about 7 weeks along. I had had a very rough start to the pregnancy with bleeding and cramping, but my HCG levels kept going up so we were just kind of going along with it. Yesterday I started to have some uncomfortable right sided pain so I knew something was wrong. My doctor told me what to watch for, and this was it. The pain all of the sudden got excruciating and I started to get nauseas and dizzy so we rushed over to the emergency room. We got there and they immediately got me in and set up for blood work and an ultrasound and gave me some pain medication (Thank goodness for pain meds!) They did the ultrasound and after finishing that the ER doctor came in and told me what I had already expected to hear, I was having an ectopic pregnancy and it was in my right tube. The on- call OB came in to talk to me about it. At this point I was pretty bummed that I couldn't see my doctor, but this doctor was super sweet and nice. She said that I was bleeding internally and we had to do surgery to take out my tube and the baby. I was hoping to be able to talk to my own doctor about it but she said he would agree with her and we needed to do the surgery now. So off I went to the OR. The next thing I remember is waking up and trying to figure out where I was and what time it was. Tim was in the waiting room and got to talk to the doctor who did the surgery and she said everything went well and I had a few hundred cc's of blood in my abdomen, so it was good that we got in when we did. Everything else in there looked good as well so she told me that I should have no problems conceiving in the future, even if I do only have one tube. After that I dozed in and out for a few hours and was finally sent home. Thankfully my mother in law had the kids so Tim and I could just come home and he could be my spectacular nurse. I am pretty sore today, but I got to talk with my OB and set up my post-op appointment with him which is great. He really is such a great doctor! As for now I just rest and wait for my mom to get here tomorrow! Emotionally it was pretty rough, but I had a feeling from the start that something was off, so I was kind of prepared for this to happen. I know I will get to meet that sweet little baby someday. I am just relieved that it is over and we can start trying again once my doctor gives the go ahead! I know most people who read this probably aren't that interested, but for anyone who wanted to know what had happened here it is. Pretty terrifying, but I am so blessed to still be here and to have such wonderful family to take care of me and my sweet children.

No comments:

Post a Comment